Thursday, November 16, 2006

The Human Condition

The last several weeks I have been made very aware of the limitations of being human. We each have our faults. We approach life as if we were super heroes, and learn that we are as mortal as everyone else. Our failures seem to be far more apparent to everyone else then to ourselves. Some of us fail horribly at relationships while others are continuously surrounded by friends. Each of us are a unique creations by God placed here on earth for such a very short time.
My grandfather died only a few short weeks ago on the opposite side of this great nation from me. I was unable to attend the funeral services. I will miss him greatly. I have often sat hearing in my mind the many phrases that I had come to know and love. I will never hear those words the same again.
Today as I write this, I am at my father's side. Here I am in ICU listening to his troubled breathing. Only days before he was walking around celebrating his new hip. The joy he had over the absence of pain that had plagued him for so long was infectious. I was smiling and talking with him as I took care of some repairs around his house.
Today there is no joy. He has suffered a couple of strokes and a minor heart attack. Today is the day I will be arranging hospice care. He doesn't seem to know I am at his side. I am glad he isn't suffering. They give him what he needs from a small bag dripping just above his head.
A friend of mine thanked me for giving him opportunity to say to his parents what needed to be said while they are alive. I spoke those special words to my father just before he slipped from consciousness, "I love you Dad." He cried.

If you have read this far and you are thinking of a special person in your life who you need to say those three special words "I love you." too, don't wait. The time is shorter then you know and goes by faster then you think.

Update: Dad died today 11/17/06 at 3:50pm PST. He will be missed.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Ranando said...

I wish your father and your family only the best.

I tell my parents everyday how much they mean to me and thank them for such a great up-bringing.

My dad taught me to fly-fish at a young age, he loved fly-fishing and traveled the world to get the big one, catch and release he always said.

He now has Parkinsons and it's so sad to see him struggle with everyday events.

Our parents get old, It's not easy to watch.

Great post, I'm calling my dad right now.

Once again, I wish you all the best.

7:55 AM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger ablur said...

It is amazing how fast they turn. My father worked up to the week of his hip surgery. He couldn't stand to be idle for more then a few minutes.
Now he just lays there. Empty yet breathing hard. His human frailty now fully exposed.
I will miss him.

Thank you for your kind words. I appreciate them so much. I am also glad that you have had opportunity to say what needs to be said to your parents before it is to late.

9:14 AM, November 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ablur, I'm so sorry for your loss.

You and your family are in my prayers.

Take care, my friend.

1:34 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger HeavyHanded said...

Both of my parents have been gone for quite awhile now, much too young ... my mother at 59 years of age from pneumonia, a complication from a fast form of dementia and then coma.

It was tough to watch her deteriate.

Life is precious and so fragile.

Ablur, you have my utmost sympathy and you are in my prayers.

1:37 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Ranando said...

My thoughts are with you and your family.

So sorry...

6:19 PM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger ablur said...

Thank You my friends. I feel blessed knowing you our there during this difficult time.

6:57 PM, November 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home