Monday, April 21, 2008

Bionic Eye

This is incredible news. The technology to restore site has finally come to the present. The joy and hope that this will restore is understood by so few.

'Bionic eye' offers grandmother the chance to enjoy a view of the future

By Lyndsay Moss
A PATIENT has spoken of her joy after having part of her sight restored by a "bionic eye".
Linda Moorfoot suffers from the eye condition retinitis pigmentosa, which causes blindness.
But now, thanks to technology being developed in the United States, she has been able to enjoy watching her grandchildren dance and play football.
Scientists have also revealed their latest development – a tiny camera which they hope to actually insert into the eye within the next five years.
The current technology tested by Mrs Moorfoot uses an external camera worn on a pair of dark glasses.

Read the rest here

This story has personal significants to me. Some of you know that I was blind for a couple of years. I was young and lucky to be living near the top eye surgeon in the US at the time. Two years, several surgeries and many years of therapy has restored my vision to a level that makes me functional. People wouldn't know I have a vision problem watching me in action. The highlights of my vision are, double vision, right eye has limited central vision with excellent peripheral and both eyes see things in different colors. I have learned to do everything anyone with normal vision can do plus a few things that can totally weird people out.

I can remember growing up with the Bionic Man and The Bionic Woman on prime time TV. They could do incredible things but it was the visual enhancements that I longed to see come true. To be able to see has got to be one of the greatest gifts bestowed on mankind. To restore that gift to those who have suffered through the loss, is the greatest miracle of all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home