Monday, May 04, 2009

Computer Problems

I was hit by a virus recently. I know many of my friends have had computer issues too. This one attacked all the key windows booting components. I was able to rebuild it by using DOS commands and backup files I could get at. I don't know about you, but I haven't worked in DOS in 20 or so years. Thankfully, I was able to return the system to full function without any data loss.

Let me make a suggestion. The struggle I had took me over a week to resolve because I didn't want to lose some recent data. The suggestion, back your system up often. The follow up would be have it on a bootable media so you can access it easily. I would recommend a large jump drive or a network drive as a good storage solution. I have both and all my computers are backed up.

I am still thinking about wiping the whole thing and starting over fresh. I got my data! It amazes me how much junk gets built up on a computer. I'm no computer genius, but after looking through my whole computer, I found traces of files and programs I haven't used in a long time.

Now go backup your computer. Hopefully, you won't have to thank me later.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Fred Williams said...

Hi,

Thanks for sharing such lovely post! I feel to protect computer against viruses you can use updated antispyware software on the computer.

10:37 PM, May 05, 2009  
Blogger ablur said...

I run anti-everything all the time. You see someone has to get it before the geniuses at your local anti-whatever can make a fix for it.

I got the new bug and I squashed it.

People who write these things should be shot.

12:03 AM, May 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home