Friday, September 10, 2010

Remembering 9/11



My life dramatically changed a few days before, when my identical twin daughters were born. The family was under a lot of stress. We had only been home for a day or so. Life was to start settling in to normal. When everything changed.

I was in my car. I had just dropped my son off at the bus stop and was heading to the pharmacy to get a few items. I turned on the radio. It was like a modern day War of The Worlds hoax. I couldn't believe my ears. I tried changing channels but it was on the next one as well. My cell phone started ringing.

IT WAS REAL.

I bought what I needed at the pharmacy and raced home. Every channel on the TV was locked in on the horror. The plane hit the second tower over and over.


Having been to NYC and in the WTC I knew it well. In my mind I could picture all the views from the viewing floor. I could picture the streets and buildings around them. Deep within me I could feel the panic and anger that was starting to burn. Seeing them fall was a gruesome horror. I knew many would be lost.

While all this was playing out before my eyes, people were saying there may yet be more. Other planes, plots and terrorists could strike anywhere in our nation. We were unprepared and uninformed. We became aware of the plane at the Pentagon and the flight 93. Was there still more?

The world seemed at a stand-still for days. I was busy with my new family members and trying to cope with all the added stress. For days we hoped and watched as the rubble was sifted. Only one shining moment stood out.

For months we stood united as a nation.

Today we need to regain that passion and union. We need to be The United States of America again. We need to restore traditions and values that built and made this nation strong and successful. We need leadership who will represent us and not special interests. We need those who swear to uphold and protect the constitution to actually read it, and then do it. Remember what it felt like to stand together? This is the America that we should live everyday.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

Never give up, never give in, always remember.

Thank you for sharing your memories.

2:39 AM, September 11, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home