Thursday, August 31, 2006

Some Stats on the UN

Things you might want to know about this almost worthless organization. We are accustom to tantrums and tirades from various members and representatives but how does the organization really stack up.

Let us first note that there are 192 member nations. Some of these members I have never heard of in my life. I consider myself well read and rather strong in geography and history, yet many on the list had me completely stumped. How many of you know where Andorra is?

89 of the 192 are fully "Free" nations, or 46%. Visit Interactive Map of World.

Top ten countries subject to UN human rights criticism in 2005
First place: Israel (106)
Second place: Sudan (68)
Third place: Democratic Republic of the Congo (38)
Fourth place: Nepal (35)
Fifth place: Myanmar (32)
Tied for sixth place: Burundi and Colombia (31)
Seventh place: Côte d'Ivoire (29)
Tied for eighth place: Afghanistan and the United States of America (27)

U.S. contributions to the UN in 2005 totaled: $5,327,276,000.

The exclusion of Israel from full UN participation Much of the operations of the UN, including appointments and elections to UN bodies, closed-door negotiations, and information-sharing sessions, take place in the context of five regional groups.
Africa
Asia
Eastern Europe
Latin America and the Caribbean (GRULAC)
the Western Europe and Others group (WEOG).
All UN members are a full member of a regional group except Israel. Israel is merely a temporary member of WEOG for a limited number of purposes.A number of WEOG countries refuse Israel's full membership, though preferring not to be identified and to act under the cover of European unanimity.
Hold-outs have included France, Greece, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Portugal, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
The exclusion of only Israel from full membership in a UN regional group is a violation of the UN Charter, which promises "the equal rights of nations large and small."

Israel is the only nation singled our with a special UN committee for the sole purpose of investigating violations against Palestinians by Israel.

Given just this little bit of information, what hope do we have of anything good coming from all this?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Bushwack said...

This is some good info, Some of this I was unaware of. Other parts I knew and those alone gave me reasons to dispise the UN.
This should be cross posted on the Reject the UN blog.

11:29 PM, August 31, 2006  
Blogger TexasFred said...

It IS cross posted with Reject The U.N.

:)

3:07 PM, September 01, 2006  
Blogger ablur said...

Thanks Fred.

Glad to see the information has more then word value.

8:15 PM, September 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article. I don't see that you have trackbacks. If I'm wrong, email me and let me know the trackback for this post. I'm adding it to my must read articles today.

7:33 AM, September 03, 2006  
Blogger ablur said...

Original writings based on research and interpretation is all you will find here. I generally post at least one article a week. If a post is based on one or two articles you will find links.

This post was a collection of several searches and a lot of reading. I can't even remember all the places I went. I made notes of things that caught my attention and that is what you find here.

8:26 PM, September 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home