Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Stay The Course

When I was young someone told me the definition of insanity was to do the same thing over and over and expect different results. As I look around me I am beginning to see this play out in too many places.

The other day I caught my boy participating in one of these no win situations. He kept trying to close a drawer that kept popping back open. One of my employees at work kept trying to install this part that wouldn’t go in. The lady at the checkout counter kept putting in the product code and it kept denying it. I stopped each of these people and pointed out the error of there ways. I got that deer in headlights look.

What is the matter with people? How did these people get this far in life? Perhaps this same form of damaged thinking is being played out in Iraq?

The president is only human and suffers the same frailties as you and I. I think we can all agree that the capital isn’t full of the best and brightest anymore. Given some of the stupid stuff coming out of there, why shouldn’t I expect this damaged thinking to not be prevalent? What does it take to stop these people and get them to make a change?

Let’s look at some programs that suffer from this insanity.
Welfare – Give people something they didn’t earn and expect them to appreciate it. Concept fails so we conclude we haven’t given them enough.
Tobacco/Alcohol taxes – We know them as Sin Taxes. Raise these taxes to collect more money to deal with other non related societal problems. Then wonder why sales go down and revenue doesn’t meet demand.
Fuel/Road Taxes – Take money from those that use the roads so they can be maintained or expanded to meet demand but use money for unrelated transportation projects. These are the people that then get mad because we have congestion.

This is a short list of a much bigger problem. I am sure that each of you are thinking of others that drive you crazy. Feel free to write them all down in the comments and I will add them on.

Someone managed to stop “W” and point out this error in thinking. It sure took long enough. I just hope that real change takes place and we don’t keep on keeping on with a different name. I noticed that other little trick of government, where we change the name hoping for different results. We could generate another long list here. Let’s not start on this one. Let's pray they get it right.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Hellpig said...

You kinda remind me of Michael Savage which is a good thing...
Savage Nation

anyhow nice blog

12:57 PM, October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good article. We all know people like this. I like President Bush, but he is a stubborn man. I'm just hoping he knows what he is doing in Iraq and in time all will work out. It sure looks rough right now. Of course we don't hear about all the places where it is peaceful, that doesn't play in the news. Just Baghdad and surrounding areas, where most of the violence is. It bleads ... it leads.

7:21 PM, October 26, 2006  
Blogger ablur said...

HP - I will take that as a compliment. Michael Savage has a big following. He speaks the truth in the raw.

Deb - I know there is more areas of calm then chaos. I just hate the fact that our military has their hands tied.

9:29 PM, October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's almost been 4 years, it's been 5 years since 9/11 - I think it's pretty clear that Bush doesn't know what he's doing.

3:26 PM, October 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home